Motivation is the fuel by which we all get things done. Habits are a big reason why people stay motivated or not. As a basketball coach you need to be able to motivate your team to achieve training goals and win games. As a basketball player you need to find the motivation to do what it takes to become a better team player, to be a better ball handler and rebounder, a strong defender, to pass the ball without turning it over, and to be more effective with your jump shots and layups.
Follow the advice I give you below to keep yourself motivated towards the accomplishment of your objectives:
- Write down your goals. It will be easier to achieve any objective if it is clearly understood. To see it written in a piece of paper, or on the chalk board, you can then visualize where you want to go. Define monthly training goal like ball handling drills, footwork exercises, etc. Think about why you want to get that so much and write about it also. Define individual and team objectives.
- Where are you right now? In order to start moving from one point to another it is important to know exactly where you are standing today. Think about your current situation and make notes. What are your possibilities and resources that might help you in the process of reaching the top of the mountain you want to climb.
- How are you going to get there? The next step would be to lay down the shortest route to get from where you are to where you want to be. A little brainstorming will be needed during this very important step. This is where you plan your strategy and if you do it collectively as a team the more motivated you will be.
- Do you want to? Or do you need to? There is a big difference between being motivated to do something that you really want or being forced to do something that you need to but would not want to, or you feel you can’t do it. You will be motivated to do it anyway, but if you are passionate about it, you will get better results.
- Start by doing the small things. How many times have you started something and left unfinished maybe because there was no order on your list? In order to continue in the race of achieving your goals, the habit of persistency will be needed. The easiest and smaller things will prepare you for the harder and more difficult drills. Prioritize your goals and stick to the plan; but remember to get to the end.
- Keep in mind the ultimate price. Like the winner in a race, a trophy awaits you after you cross the finish line. Thinking about the championship cup is a good way to stay motivated and continue to get better as basketball player.
- Do whatever it takes to begin with your plan! It is really important to set aside what’s impeding you to make that first step. I am sure you have plenty of goals and activities, but be patient. Discipline will play a big role in your progress.
- Philippians 4:13 – “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” What best extrinsic motivation do we need? Intrinsic or “auto motivation” comes from within; it is born from your ambition and enthusiasm. Extrinsic motivation would come from an external source. Your loved ones would be another good example of extrinsic motivation.
- Be energized by doing exercise. Planning to oxygenate your body is a good thing. It will help you to reach higher and endure the challenges better. As a basketball player, you need to be in really good shape. That is the first thing you need to worry about. By doing exercise and feeling good every day, you will be naturally motivated to keep going.
- Often and daily Prayer. This is a must do step for every set of instructions in order to be successful. And remember: “Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” -St. Francis of Assisi
I started to play basketball in high school after I watched Michael Jordan play during the 1990-1991 NBA season. I was really motivated to learn how to play and be like Mike. I have watched all his videos and they are really motivational to continue playing basketball and aim to get better at the game. That is why my suggestion to you is to make the following DVD’s a part of your personal collection.
[ReviewAZON asin=”B0049HOVDW” display=”inlinepost”]
[ReviewAZON asin=”B000056BS9″ display=”inlinepost”]